May 20, 2018 (updated May 20, 2018)
Published by darlene
This is a basic, restaurant-style Mexican rice recipe, and can be used as a side dish. I cook this dish especially for guests or when there is an occasion, such as a one-dish party.
The key to it is the use of seasoning.
In original recipe, you can use the ingredients listed below, but you can also use Taco seasoning (which is optional).
- Vegetable oil – 3 tablespoons
- Uncooked long-grain rice – 1 cup
- Garlic salt – 1 teaspoon
- Ground cumin – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chopped onion – 1/4 cup
- Tomato sauce – 1/2 cup
- Chicken broth – 2 cups
- Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add rice to it.
- Sprinkle salt and cumin while stirring constantly until golden and puffed
- Add onions and cook for few minutes
- Then add tomato sauce and chicken broth and bring it to a boil
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for around 15 to 20 minutes till liquid is almost absorbed and rice is tender.
- You can sprinkle more spices to make a different version of the recipe
- You can also fry an onion in oil until it is golden brown before adding rice.
- You can use sea salt instead of garlic salt.
- You can also add chopped bell pepper that is added with the onions about half way through the sauteing of the rice.
May 20, 2018
Published by darlene
Today, I brought to you this easy and fast recipe, which is one of my favorite recipes and I often cook it for dinner. Please do try it, and let me know in the comments your opinion about it.
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Cornstarch – 2 tablespoon
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Mayonnaise – ½ cup
- Egg – 1
- Beer – 1 cup
- Lime – 1 (juiced)
- Jalapeno pepper – 1 (minced)
- Ground cayenne pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Minced capers – 1 teaspoon
- Dried dill weed – ½ teaspoon
- Plain yogurt – ½ cup
- Dried oregano – ½ teaspoon
- Ground cumin – ½ teaspoon
- Cod fillets – 1 pound (cut into pieces)
- Corn tortillas – 1 package
- Cabbage – ½ (finely shredded)
- Oil for frying
How to cook?
Beer batter: Mix well all-purpose flour, starch, salt and baking powder in a bowl. In another bowl, blend well egg and beer, and then add it to the flour mixture and stir well.
White sauce: Mix mayonnaise and yogurt in a bowl, and gradually add lime juice while stirring in order to achieve uniform consistency. Season with oregano, cumin, cayenne, dill, jalapeno and capers. Heat oil to 150-190 Celsius.
Fish: Sprinkle flour on fish pieces, dip them into the batter, and deep fry until golden brown and crispy. Slightly fry tortilla, but it should not be crispy.
To serve: In a tortilla, place the fish, top it with the cabbage and put white sauce, and wrap it, if you like.
Some other variations – You can substitute light sour cream for yogurt and lemon for lime – Fresh minced cilantro can be used instead of oregano – You can also grill it instead of frying – Tortillas can also be slightly grilled than fried.